Re: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages

2013-10-24 10:09:33
Does one of the MIME RFCs require an encoding declaration when the
charset is already given in the MIME header? If so, then virtually
every email in my inbox which has a text/html part is wrong:

It's sort of a corner case, but RFC 2854 says that the "charset" MIME
parameter indicates the character set of the HTML in text/html parts.  It
also says a charset parameter is "strongly recommended".  I read it clearly
as saying that a charset MIME parameter applies to HTML in the absence of
an encoding parameter.

We don't have a straightforward way to put the charset into a MIME
display string. %a puts all of the MIME parameters in the output string,
and you could cook up something with that, although that isn't perfect.
I recently discovered that the mailcap is actually standardized in an
RFC; part of me thinks we should add support for that.