Re: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages

2013-10-24 08:25:34
Thus spake Ken Hornstein:
Just out of curiousity ... did you produce this message with nmh?  I ask
because it didn't actually have proper MIME encoding.  This can happen
when you use nmh but don't run mhbuild on the message, for example (my
plans are to make this automatically happen for 1.6).

It's just as you said---I didn't run mhbuild. Having that run
automatically wouldn't be a bad idea. Is there a way to have that run
automatically in 1.5?

I've noticed recently that I'm getting some mojibake in messages from
a few sources. Both examples I have handy have a quoted-printable UTF-8
encoded text/html part, and one also has a quoted-printable UTF-8
encoded text/plain part.

Alright, so you're in a UTF-8 locale, which solves one problem; we don't
support iconv, which is also something I'm working at fixing for 1.6  I am
assuming you're using "mhshow" to look at these messages.

That's correct.

Stupid question
time: do these messages decode properly when you mhstore them?

Yes.

If
you look at them without a pager, do they appear correct?

Do you mean without a pager in mhshow? How would I do that?

I think I found something related to the cause: I have this line in
my mhn.defaults:

  mhshow-show-text/html: %p/usr/bin/lynx -force_html -dump '%f' | less

When I remove that and run show on the message which has a text/plain
part, it displays correctly. I take it that what I have in mhn.defaults
is not/no longer a good thing to have? What are people using to display
HTML parts these days?

--
J.