Re: [Nmh-workers] Conflict between "mime" command and attach

2013-12-11 09:45:14
Hi Jon,

No, sorry, when I said "edit" I was referring to a whatnow-entry to
put me back in vi so I can read-only peruse the outcome of "mime".
My intent is always to have "mime" do the work;  if something's not
right I go back to pre-"mime" and fix it because mhbuild could
always do want I want AIUI.

Do the big MUAs let you do this?  Can you look at post-MIME stuff in
thunderbird?  Or do you just attach things and be happy with the
results>

They do not.  But then I can only attach a file using their simplistic
GUI and hope they get everything they choose right, e.g. text/plain v.
message/rfc822, and miss out on the chance to specify the character
encoding or give a content description.  That's one reason why I don't
use them and prefer nmh.  (Though I don't think I can set the
content-disposition's modification-date?)

    mhb image/png \
        /home/foobar/junk/picture.png
    mhb forw +inbox 42 43 99

I can't support making a cryptic interface more cryptic.

s/#/mhb / seems *slightly* less cryptic to me.  :-)

A new mhbuild directive that guesses the MIME type could provide a
simple attach mechanism.  whatnow's "attach" could append these
instead of adding its header.  Or still add its header and they're
treated as if they were additional directives at the end of the body
in the order they're encountered.

This is why I suggested having some optional arguments on the attach
header and attach command.

Sorry, to do what?  Memory's going.

Cheers, Ralph.