Re: [Nmh-workers] refile's -retainsequences switch

2014-04-20 08:17:17
The nmh-1.6-RC1 refile man page says:

    The -retainsequences switch causes the memberships in sequences, except
    "cur", of the refiled messages to be carried over to each destination
    folder.

I am truly sorry, to be so dense, but I can't decipher that
sentence. In this context, I don't know what is meant by "membership"
(I think as the members of sequences as messages) or by "carried
over". Would some nice person help me.

I wasn't fond of that sentence when I wrote it.  And I'm
still not.  But I can't think of anything better.
Contributions are welcome.

So, I guess our dialog constitutes a bug report.

Well, the person who wrote that code should speak up; looking at it
again, there's no reason it _shouldn't_ work on private sequences
that I can see (I misread the use of the is_seq_private() macro).  We
might just be missing a context_save() somewhere.

That would be me.  I don't have the time to spend debugging
it right now.  If no one else does, I'd be glad to add a
note to the man page that the feature is not supported with
private sequences.

We have another case where private sequences diverge from
public sequences, see the Sequence File Locking note at the
end of the mh-sequence(5) man page.

Which brings me to another point:  do private sequences
serve any real need?  This is as close as I can get to
something useful:

    you can actually have more than one set of private
    sequences by using different context files.

Though I can do the same thing with public sequences, using
the mh-sequences profile entry.

David