Re: [Nmh-workers] Second release candidate for nmh 1.6 now available

2014-05-04 19:48:24
On Sun, 04 May 2014 09:35:08 -0400, Ken Hornstein writes:
 the dud "ISO-8859-" is the buffer initializer which i
 believe is caused by norm_charmap being asked to work on its own output.

 i've fixed this by malloc()ing that buffer; see attached patch.

Thanks!  However ... that will result in a memory leak, yes?  Okay,

yes, and i'm certainly not claiming this to be a perfect fix.

you'll point out that nmh is terrible on memory management and I won't
disagree, but I don't think that's an excuse for making it worse.
Fixing this properly either means we need to be much more clever in
norm_charmap(), or always allocate a buffer and fix every caller of
norm_charmap().  Sigh.

that's pretty much my thoughts as of yesterday evening, so i opted
for "second best tomorrow".

however, with nmh not (yet) having any long-running daemons i think
leaving the memory freeing (of 16 bytes) to the OS is more a minor
blemish than a big leak issue.

regards
az

--
Alexander Zangerl + GPG Key 0xB963BD5F (or 0x42BD645D) + http://snafu.priv.at/
RedHat Adventure: "You're in a maze of twisted little packages, all dependent.