Re: [Nmh-workers] Second release candidate for nmh 1.6 now available

2014-05-04 12:49:41
Actually, I just realized .... check_charset() and
write_charset_8bit() both save the pointer returned from
get_charset() (which calls norm_charmap()).  Those interfaces are
broken as designed.  Seems like the right solution there would be to
have get_charset() copy the return value from norm_charmap() into
it's own buffer?  That could be statically allocated, since it
shouldn't change between calls.

That would help.  But I think that the whole business should
be reviewed and possibly redesigned.  As in, provide an sbr
function to say whether or not two charset names match.
Callers that just need that would no longer have to be
concerned with memory management.

Another inconvenience is that norm_charmap() is case-sensitive
(except for a few (why not all?)  forms of "Big5").

And I think the norm_charmap() code should be simplified to
just look for the ASCII and 8859 varities, and pass anything
else back.  That's what it does now, in effect, except for
"TIS620.2533" and the few forms of "Big5".

David