Re: [Nmh-workers] Second release candidate for nmh 1.6 now available

2014-05-04 16:56:31
That would help.  But I think that the whole business should
be reviewed and possibly redesigned.  As in, provide an sbr
function to say whether or not two charset names match.
Callers that just need that would no longer have to be
concerned with memory management.

I just realized something ... we're using norm_charmap() wrong.

The purpose of norm_charmap() is to convert a _locale_ character
set (what is returned by nl_langinfo(CODESET)) into a standard MIME
character set.  AFACT, norm_charmap() should almost never be used by nmh
applications; they should be using get_charset() if they need the local
character set.  If it's something in email, we can use it directly and
it should not be run through norm_charmap().

Since the only callers of norm_charmap() should be passing in the locale
character encoding, that should never change within a program, so memory
management should not be an issue.