Re: [Nmh-workers] show message number scrolls off terminal?

2015-02-07 19:12:36
andy wrote:
Thus said Paul Fox on Sat, 07 Feb 2015 14:27:48 -0500:

and as  eric pointed out  the other day, if  any of your  messages are
MIME,  you'll currently  get  no per-message  headers  at all,  unless
there's only  one of  them, in  which case you'll  get the  one you've
mentioned.

By MIME I assume  you mean a multi-part MIME message?  For example, if I
``show'' the email that you send in response, it has:

$ show
(Message MailingLists/nongnu/nmh-workers:12)
Date:    Sat, 07 Feb 2015 18:41:01 +0000
From:    Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: unable to convert character set of...

And yet, I also see the following headers:

Is this  a ``MIME'' message as  you indicated? If so,  that doesn't jive
with  what  you just  said  about  when/how  the per-message  header  is
presented.

i didn't phrase the description that you quoted above very clearly.
i think this falls under the last part of what i wrote:  you're only
asking show to display one message, and you're getting the header
you were complaining about.  if you "show 11 12", in order to see
two messages at once, i don't believe you'll see any headers.

That being said, what exactly are the primary differences between them?
Why should a user use one or the other?

show hands all MIME messages to "showmimeproc", which defaults to
mhshow.  so for the most part the two programs will behave identically
when invoked.  show hands all non-MIME messages to "showproc", which
defaults to mhl.  since you've set showproc to "mhshow", as reported
in your other mail, you'll see very little difference when using show
vs. mhshow.  (in particular, you'll never see the " >>>>  inbox:20"
style of header that i mentioned previously, since that's generated by
mhl.)

show supports different switches than mhshow.  most of them have to do
with selecting mime processing or not, or controlling the message
header we've been talking about, or doing special-purpose things like
"show -draft".  and of course if one hasn't changed "showproc", then
mhl is used to display non-MIME messages.  mhshow will always treat
such messages as if they were MIME, with a single text/plain part.  i
honestly can't remember right now how it's displayed by default, but i
don't think it involves mhl.

show does do one thing that i just realized i still use.  "show
-noshowproc" will show you the raw message.  as such, it could easily
be replaced (and i just have, in my wrapper scripts) with
'cat $(mhpath "${@:-cur}")'.

As I indicated above, I've only  ever used show... (for one it's shorter
to type).

:-)

paul