Re: [Nmh-workers] Default setup broken on Debian?

2015-03-02 14:16:38
Ken> BEFORE 1.6 it certainly wouldn't do that out of the box.

Er I think the key word there was that it'd bring up "something" in a
pager.  Not necessarily something useful, but it was less aggravating
than throwing up a new window for every message part in the 100 emails I
was skimming :-/  I had customised things a bit to work around that.

You're more patient than I; I always found it terrible because a new pager
was invoked for each MIME part.

As a cheap alternative to a local build of the whole thing, I pulled
down your git repo and ran mhn.defaults.sh from there, to create a
personal mhn.defaults.

That leaves me in a much improved situation, behaving as advertised;
thanks a lot for the super fast response by the way.

Glad that helped!

Building on my original question though, is there any kind of wiki or
Nmh-specific FAQ for tips and tricks?

Weeellll .... not really.  The MH FAQ has seen some love lately, because
Bill Wohler asked for some input and I gave him some.  But those changes
actually haven't made it into the tree, unfortunately.

For example,

 - I really like MessageName (undocumented?), which you can use to see
   message numbers now that mhshow doesn't show 'em by default (thanks
   for writing about that elsewhere!);

MessageName is totally documented in mhl(1); it's just not well known.
Really, the whole mess about the split between show and mhshow needs to
be cleaned up.

 - I'd be interested to see other people's recipes for rendering
   diverse formats as text;

I can't speak for anyone else ... but at least for me, I've found that
the "text" parts are ones I want to see, and non-text parts?  Not so
much.  I mean, sure, I want to save and work on Word/PDFs, but usually
with a dedicated tool.

 - and I'd also like to see past ideas for rewriting the message part
   headers so they stand out a bit more (mhshow.marker seems to only
   change the display of unshown parts??)..

Sigh.  The code to do that went into nmh after the 1.6 release cycle
started.  So, next release.