Re: [Nmh-workers] Multi-homed postproc, v2

2015-03-05 04:36:16
Hi Ken,

The reason is that the arguments ended up being:

      [...] draft filename -idanno N

Where "N" was the file descriptor to write the annotation to; my
previous iteration assumed the last argument to post was the filename.

This is Unix, not GNU and it's brain-damanged `rm / -rf'.  Isn't it a
bug that sendaux() appends ["-idanno", "42"] after the draft's filename?

find_draftmessage() {
        skip_next=0

        for arg; do
                case "$arg" in
                -al* | -filt* | -wi* | -client | -idanno | -server | \
                -partno | -saslmaxssf | -saslmech | -user | -por* | \
                -file* | -mhl* | -mt* | -cr* | -lib* | -oauth)
                        skip_next=1
                        ;;
                -*)     skip_next=0;
                        ;;
                *)
                        if [ "$skip_next" -eq 0 ]; then
                                draftmessage="$arg"
                                return 0
                        fi
                        skip_next=0
                        ;;
                esac
        done

      echo "Cannot find draft message name in argument list"
        exit 1
}

I think that can be simpler, given a function has a "$@" that's distinct
from the scripts, e.g.

    find_draftmessage() {
        while test $# -ne 0; do
            case "$1" in
            -al* | -filt* | -wi* | -client | -idanno | -server | \
            -partno | -saslmaxssf | -saslmech | -user | -por* | \
            -file* | -mhl* | -mt* | -cr* | -lib* | -oauth)
                shift
                ;;
            -*) ;;
            *)
                draftmessage="$1"
                return 0
                ;;
            esac
            shift
        done

        echo "usage: localpostproc [...] file [...]" >&2
        exit 1
    }

I am just wondering out loud if there is a better way than putting
knowledge in the script of whether a particular switch takes an
argument.  It just seems brittle to me.  Ideas?  Other approaches?

Have the interface to post(8), and thus postproc, include the `file'
parameter as an environment variable as well.  True, this means post has
two places to get the data, but it also keeps simple filter scripts
simple.

Though I still think it should be the last argument, otherwise every
postproc author has to solve the same problem.

Cheers, Ralph.