Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh architecture discussion: format engine character set

2015-08-12 12:37:52
Hi Jon,

I am in no way an expert on this.  But, I won't let that stop me.

That's the spirit!

The reason why I think that Unicode is appropriate is that it has been
designed to be a superset of all other character sets.  Being that the
RFCs allow the mixing of character sets, Unicode allows them to be
represented without having to encode "bank switching".  I realize that
doing this requires a library that does all of the Unicode character
handling properly, which is not a trivial task.

If you skim through the Table of Contents at the start of
http://www.gnu.org/software/libunistring/manual/libunistring.html you'll
see it handles a lot of the nitty-gritty for you.  (Other libraries
suggested probably do the same, I just happen to know this one.)

Cheers, Ralph.