Re: [Nmh-workers] Need some general advice

2016-09-12 04:48:30
Thus spake "Ronald F. Guilmette":

Before answering, keep in mind that I will likely need to configure the
SMTP server on the remote VM (postfix) in such a way that my home machine
will be able to authenticate to it, you know, in order to send outbound
mail.  (The last time I tried something like this I think I gave up in
the end because it seemed like too much of a pain in the ass to get the
authentication all working.  But now I have no choice, and have to make
it work this time.)

This part isn't too hard if you're using Postfix.

Configuration locally, in main.cf:

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = plain, login
smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous

Configuration remotely, in main.cf:

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes

smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
 permit_mynetworks,
 permit_sasl_authenticated,
 ... lots of spam checks here ...
 permit

And you need to set up one of the supported SASL authenticators. I
happen to be using dovecot for that.

See http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html for more details.

--
J.