Re: [Nmh-workers] Need some general advice

2016-09-12 07:52:55
   1)  I can try to arrange things so that mail from the remote VM will
       be sent down to either an SMTP server or something else which
       runs on my home machine, all via (somehow authenticated) SMTP.
       Perhaps I can use the SMTP TURN command for this.

I am unsure if modern SMTP servers still support TURN (or ETRN).  I think
you're going to be on the fringe there, because most people do this:

   2)  I can set things up so that the remote VM will run a POP3 server
       which I can then (periodically) have something on my home machine
       authenticate to and then suck pending messages out of in such a way
       that the NMH "inc" command will be able to get them.

Personally, that's what I do.  Works great.  Except that I don't run my
own POP server; someone else does that.  I suppose you could arrange for
mail to get delivered to your client box, but personally I don't see
the point.  But I suppose it's all what you want to do.

Before answering, keep in mind that I will likely need to configure the
SMTP server on the remote VM (postfix) in such a way that my home machine
will be able to authenticate to it, you know, in order to send outbound
mail.  (The last time I tried something like this I think I gave up in
the end because it seemed like too much of a pain in the ass to get the
authentication all working.  But now I have no choice, and have to make
it work this time.)

FWIW, nmh supports the client-side of SMTP authentication; you just need to
get it working on the server side.  It looks like Joel gave you some hints
there.