Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

2016-09-27 08:51:58
The latest code in git is failing to build on Solaris because it
relies on getline(3). getline was a GNU extension that has now been
added to recent POSIX specifications but may still be lacking on
older systems that predate that.

Hm, I thought this was an issue for 1.6, but no ... we branched 1.6 in
April of 2014, and Paul Fox added that code in May of 2014.  I did notice
it on MacOS 10.6, but that OS was old at the time so I think it just
fell off everyone's radar.

Could we perhaps include a configure test and a fallback implementation
such as the one below (it is a public domain implementation tweaked
to use mh_xmalloc etc)?

In terms of Autoconf, there is AC_REPLACE_FUNCS designed for this
exact purpose, so the replacment function could be in it's own file.
You'll need to add LIBOJBS to LIBADD as well.  Like, I think this in
configure.ac:

AC_CONFIG_LIBOBJ_DIR([sbr])
AC_REPLACE_FUNCS([getline])

Makefile.am:

sbr_libmh_a_LIBADD = $(LIBOBJS)

and put the implementation in sbr/getline.c.