Re: [Nmh-workers] Having configure Check for cc's -pedantic -ansi.

2016-10-24 12:05:17
Ralph wrote:

Hi David,

Worked well on a machine where I hadn't built it before, but was likely
to have some of the optional development packages installed.

Yeah, the script doesn't check those dependencies in advance.  The build
doesn't take very long on modern machines so I think that's OK.  I'll add
a suggestion to check the MACHINES file for dependencies if configure
fails.

I went with the defaults for all but the first prompt.

I should revisit the OAUTH, TLS, and SASL defaults based on what
configure now does with them.

I then had to poke around for the log file.  (With my "just paste the
commands I was told" hat on.)  Perhaps its path can be printed at the
end?

Added, if any of:  it's not in the current directory (because the
sources were downloaded), the build failed, or -v was used.

I wouldn't want to email the one here.  tools/showbuildenv captures the
environment and that has personal information in it, e.g. paths can
contain real-life data.  I'm wondering how useful env[] is, other than
for the uname values stuffed in there by showbuildenv.

I replaced the showbuildenv with a few uname's and cat /etc/os-release
if it exists.  Looking at the buildbot hosts now, either that or none
of the files searched for in showbuildenv are used.

It's a peer to configure, Makefile, etc?  So have it at the top level?

Sounds good to me.  Any objection?

The `tail -4' output near the end, that has the ===..., has escape codes
for colour BTW.

Feature!  I added a fix to not do that if TERM is unset or dumb, and
documented that in the comments at the top.

The second time `sh build_nmh' is run the `git clone' fails because
./nmh exists and isn't empty.  The user doesn't know that immediately

Fixed.

This is due to the new `D' option to ar(1) for deterministic mode.

I don't face this daily (on Fedora), though at least some of the
buildbot hosts do.  Not sure what to do about it.  Excise it from,
or override (assuming POSIX ar), ARFLAGS?

I've pushed 4ac9784480441d2bebe8a2ad9584165bbf2ee345 to have configure
edit flex's 2.6.1 output;  it already had logic for fixing earlier
versions.

Should we remove -Wall -Wextra from CFLAGS and leave all that up to
the user?  Then we could remove the flex dependencies.  I'm tired of
trying to clean up flex's droppings.

The `tags' target uses etags, not installed here.  It seems that's a
default and nothing to do with nmh's use of autotools?

Right, and looking quickly, I don't see a way to disable it:

    If any C, C++ or Fortran 77 source code or headers are present,
    then ‘tags’ and ‘TAGS’ rules will be generated for the directory

David