Re: [Nmh-workers] Having configure Check for cc's -pedantic -ansi.

2016-10-24 14:11:35
Hi David,

I went with the defaults for all but the first prompt.

I should revisit the OAUTH, TLS, and SASL defaults based on what
configure now does with them.

I found the build on Mac OS X failed.  build_nmh prompted `[n]' for TLS,
which I accepted with Enter.  That stopped --with-tls getting to
./configure;  good.  But configure defaults to yes, I think, so ssl.h
isn't found.  Bodging build_nmh to say --with-tls=no got it to compile.

This is due to the new `D' option to ar(1) for deterministic mode.

I don't face this daily (on Fedora), though at least some of the
buildbot hosts do.  Not sure what to do about it.  Excise it from, or
override (assuming POSIX ar), ARFLAGS?

I'm unsure too.

I've pushed 4ac9784480441d2bebe8a2ad9584165bbf2ee345 to have
configure edit flex's 2.6.1 output;  it already had logic for fixing
earlier versions.

Should we remove -Wall -Wextra from CFLAGS and leave all that up to
the user?  Then we could remove the flex dependencies.  I'm tired of
trying to clean up flex's droppings.

Well, we're not trying to get the user to have a successful build the
easiest way, but turn up problems that we'd like to fix, especially if
they may cause later bugs that would be harder to find.

OTOH, clang doesn't like -ansi being in CFLAGS when it's linking.
Makefile uses $(CC) for CCLD.

    clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-ansi'

--with-tls=no did turn up a function that didn't return a
value so perhaps the buildbot can have that as another build setting?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy