Re: [Nmh-workers] Help: dist is not working for me

2016-11-14 10:34:16
Hi Norm,

Why did I ignore your advice? I don't remember. But I would conjecture
that it was some combination of not understanding the advice, not
understanding its context, or not believing that its context was
relevant to me.

If it's like me with most of the "do this for the new version" advice on
here, it's two years' premature as I was on an old release for a lot
longer.  I suppose the release notes should be re-read as one's software
upgrades.  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nmh.git/tree/NEWS

But I would like to humbly suggest a new man page, something like
nmh-advice.  It would contain a lot of advice which, right now is
scattered over hundreds of Emails. It would, over the years, grow
gradually. It would it be preferable to burdening already burdened
existing man pages.

I think this overlaps with the recent discussion about how to start with
nmh.  Most of us have so much clutter collected over the years, ~/bin
scripts sitting in front of the real nmh commands, .mh_profile stuff
that's now the default, or overrides what would be a better default.  I
was thinking of moving all my stuff aside, or creating a new temporary
user account, just to start with a clean slate and find out what needs
adding to do things the "new" nmh way.

Perhaps nmh(7) is the place to add what initial configuration is
advised.

Cheers, Ralph.