Re: [Nmh-workers] Call for testing of nmh 1.7 release candidate 3

2017-08-25 18:37:15

On 25 August 2017 at 23:42, Ralph Corderoy
<ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for trying RC3.

In some of the failures are lines like these in the diff's

  + localuser:kevinc being removed from access control list

That's coming from my 'xhost -SI:localuser:kevinc' setting which I use
exclusively to keep exmh happy.  Ironic.

Yes, but where is that command?  It seems like running commands within
the test suite is running your xhost.  Files like .cshrc and .bashrc are
meant to be silent and produce no output, otherwise things like this,
and `:e *.c' in old vi get confused as the $SHELL kicked off to expand
globs, for example, produces not only foo.c and bar.c, but `...being
removed from...' as well.

xhost is in my .login file.  I commented it out, started a new
shell, and the make check ran the same way.  My current shell might
be remembering or passing something.  When I get a chance to start a
completely fresh shell, then I'll try again.

This was one reason why xterm(1) should be kicked off as a login shell
with -l, or the equivalent resource setting, and one-off things done in
a .profile rather than a per-shell .*rc file.

I can certainly see wanting to have a customization-free environment.

Cheerio...

--
Kevin