Re: [Nmh-workers] Call for testing of nmh 1.7 release candidate 3

2017-08-26 09:14:08
On 26 August 2017 at 14:38, Ralph Corderoy
<ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>wrote:

Hi jerry,

$ file --brief --dereference --mime-type test/mhbuild/nulls
binary

Could you tell us about that file(1).  I found a site for Mageia
packages, but it didn't have one called `file' so I wasn't sure what
package contained the command, and where it got the source from, what
version, etc.

Here, with Arch Linux's file 5.31-1 package, I get

    $ file --brief --dereference --mime-type test/mhbuild/nulls
    application/octet-stream
    $ file --version
    file-5.31
    magic file from /usr/share/file/misc/magic
    $

Ralph,

The version of Mageia I'm running is back level.  It went out of support
over a year ago.  I generall upgrade to their even releases (once every
two years, rather than annually).

Here is the information on the file command:

[jerry@unix nmh-1.7-RC3]$ file --version
file-5.16
magic file from /usr/share/misc/magic
[jerry@unix nmh-1.7-RC3]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/file
file-5.16-1.10.mga4

jerry
     // Jerry Heyman               | If you preach hatred and intolerance
    //  Amigan Forever :-)         | towards others, don't then play the
\\ //   heymanj at acm dot org     | victim if the others react badly to you
 \X/    http://www.hobbeshollow.com| -- JMH