Re: [Nmh-workers] MH + IMAP? (was Large MH directories

2017-10-15 17:02:33

Bakul Shah wrote:

The local socket part is easy. Connect to /tmp/mhd/$USER. [Calling
this daemon mhd for short] If the socket doesn't exist or a write to
it fails, kick off mhd.

indeed, yes, that's how to do it. see also "prayer", an imap server:

Prayer is yet another Webmail interface.

It is unusual in that it is a complete, standalone, HTTP server and
proxy rather a Apache/mod_php plugin. Prayer maintains persistent
connections to the IMAP server and is written entirely in C.
Consequently it is much faster than most open source Webmail
interfaces and puts very little load on either the machines running
the Web server or the backend IMAP servers (even if traditional Unix
format mailfolders are in use).

Prayer has very few external dependencies as user preferences are
stored on the IMAP server rather than in a SQL database. It does
however implement a full range of features and user preference
settings.

(https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/prayer)

the prayer code base has been abandoned, but i still run it here, and i think MH could learn a lot from studying it. right now we store our mail and our state in the file system. that's called "legacy" now. i could live with always calling mhpath to get a file i can read/modify, even if it was in /tmp rather than ~/Mail. i'd sure love to have "pick" and "rmm" and "refile" for my imap-stored folders, though.

Given all this it makes sense to me to start with the model of of a
separate daemon. I think interfacing nmh commands with mhd will be
much simpler than interfacing with a remote imap server.

+1.

--
P Vixie