Re: [nmh-workers] post 1.71 ug: "long line"/single newline paragraphs

2018-05-26 16:44:48
Hi Anthony,

Part of EFAIL was that the mail client downloaded bits from the
Internet and interleaved them seamlessly into the message.

IIRC it was that different adjacent parts were catenated if both
text/html before being sent to something to interpret the HTML.  This
meant the join could produce something unwanted that wasn't detected
when they were separate.

Ralph Corderoy's message contains a 'Content-Type:
message/external-body; access-type="url"; url="..."' bit that was
promptly fetched and displayed in the middle of the message.

About time someone's noticed.  :-)  It's not the first time, though it's
not common.  This time it seemed apt given my pondering about too much
done `out of the box'.

How do I disable this behavior

Possibly by nobbling nmh-access-url in an mhn.defaults, e.g. /etc/nmh,
though I haven't tested it.  It's `curl -L' here, that should probably
have an `-sS' too.

and why does nmh have it turned ON by default!?

I don't know.  History, probably.
We used to assume everyone played nice.

--
Cheers, Ralph.