Re: [nmh-workers] Reply to Ralph Corderoy

2019-04-21 09:35:34
Hi Stewart,

The previous nmh was 1.4

That's a big jump.  If you haven't already seen it, then the list of
per-release changes in NEWS could be useful.
http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/nmh.git/tree/NEWS

I changed the port to 25 from 2525, but the connection there was also
refused.  I left it at 25.  mhparam now shows:
    -port 25 -alias /home/wilson/.mh_aliases

I'm attaching mts.conf.

Where did you find that?
Was it the same directory that `mhparam etcdir' shows?

mts: smtp
servers: mail.eskimo.com

That suggests to me that nmh will try to talk SMTP to mail.eskimo.com to
send the email,

Also .mh_profile
send: -port 25 -alias /home/wilson/.mh_aliases

and that it will connect on port 25, the standard SMTP port.  I can
connect from here.

    $ nc mail.eskimo.com 25
    220 mail.eskimo.com ESMTP Postfix
    quit
    221 2.0.0 Bye
    ^D
    $

But your original email to the list showed attempts to connect to
localhost.

    What now? send -snoop

        Trying to connect to "localhost" ...
        Connecting to ::1:2525...
        Connection failed: Connection refused
        Connecting to 127.0.0.1:2525...
        Connection failed: Connection refused

so I'm thinking mts.conf isn't being found.

At the `What now?' prompt, try

    send -snoop -mts smtp -server mail.eskimo.com -port 25

and we'll see if that gets further.

--
Cheers, Ralph.