questions about the Previous-Sequence

2020-03-22 09:42:43
Hi all

Disclaimer first: I'm a mmh-developer and user

We think currently about removing the Previous-Sequence support for
mmh. But because we don't use it we are not sure, if we missed some
aspect of it. Therefor I would like to ask some questions.

When and why was the Previous-Sequence introduced to mh or nmh?

What are the use cases? We found two:
1. in the shell using the same messages again and spare some typing
2. put messages in a sequence after a refile[0]

The first completely covered with the shell history. The second
one can don with the new sequence or the -retainsequences switch.

Did we miss some use cases? Are there other reasons to keep this feature?

Philipp

Ps: really nice work you do.

[0] https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2005-12/msg00086.html