Re: questions about the Previous-Sequence

2020-03-22 13:53:22
We think currently about removing the Previous-Sequence support for
mmh. But because we don't use it we are not sure, if we missed some
aspect of it. Therefor I would like to ask some questions.

I personally find the previous-sequence rather useful myself (when you
find, for example, the results of "pick" were rather larger than you
expected and didn't put it in a sequence).  But that's up to you.

When and why was the Previous-Sequence introduced to mh or nmh?

Looks like it has been around for a while.  From mh4/MHCHANGES:

Mon Jul 16 00:21:52 1984  Rand MH mail system (agent: Marshall Rose) <mh@uci-750
a>

        Install the new Previous-Sequence mechanism.  Introduce the SEQMOD
        flag to the msgs structure.  Just about every MH program now calls
        m_setseq () upon parsing the messages and calls m_sync() prior to
        exiting.

Before my time, so I can't really answer the "why".