pem-dev

Re: Key selectors

1995-01-11 13:00:00
      BTW, Jim, do you have a position vis a vis including support for
      the minimal content of v3 in this version fo the spec? I.e., the
      capability of supporting the extensions only, not the proposed
      definitions of what some useful extensions might be?

PEM/MIME is happy to use whatever version of certificate suits the user.
The choice is irrelevant to the support of the PEM protocol and security
services since the specification only cares about the presence of a
public key.

Jim

It certainly matters from the standpoint of implementation and
interoperability, and in particular the support for the CRITICAL extensions
provided in v3, which I feel are of the utmost importance.

Is it your position that since PEM/MIME is supposed to be a delta off of the
baseline PEM document, that the specification change to support X.509 v3 should
be made to RFC1421-4,  and that conformant PEM/MIME implementations would then
ipso facto support those changes?

If not, then what specifications _would_ have to be changed to add this
support?

Bob

Robert R. Jueneman
GTE Laboratories