pem-dev

Re: Are we a standards committee?

1995-01-14 15:55:00
I have just received private mail that makes me think that my previous
assessment of the proposal was completely wrong. As such, all of my posting`
this line are based on what turns out to be a step we're not taking, and are
best ignored. This includes my previous reply to this message.

MY GOODNESS!

I received this message and your previous reply only moments before my lengthy
message that tried to assess the reasons you had for taking the position you
had.

Specifically, I have now been informed that the "new" proposal will not
eliminate the ability to do things without certs. As long as certs are not
required I'm happy. I doubt that you are as happy as I am about this, however.

Obviously I welcome any opportunity for you to rethink your position, And
equally obviously my attempts to put words in your mouth to explain your
previous position may become "non-operative" if that position was based on a
misunderstanding somewhere.

The misunderstanding was that the "new" proposal would remove the other
forms of identifiers. Apparently there was never any intention of doing that --
other people find the cert requirements every bit as onerous as I do.

                                Ned