perl-unicode

Re: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

1998-10-23 15:40:21
Chip Salzenberg writes:
However, any given application of multiple-metadata can be adequately
achieved with single-metadata if that metadata is allowed to have
arbitrarily complex structure, and I think we can achieve that.

What structure?  Emacs can have an arbitrary hash associated to any
char.  Tk can have arbitrary number of bits associated to any char,
and an arbitrary hash associated to the ordinal of the bit, as in

    1 => \%hash1,
    2 => \%hash2,
    4 => \%hash4,
    8 => \%hash8,

and if char is associated 11=8+2+1, then it has associated

    (%hash) = (%hash1,%hash2,%hash8);

Other schemes may be invented as well.

After all, you add stuff to the RE language all the time when
it serves your interests.

No, I only add them if they serve *your* purposes.

Ilya