perl-unicode

Re: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

1998-10-23 15:52:01
According to Ilya Zakharevich:
Felix S. Gallo writes:
[embedded codes give up] very nifty multiple-meta-datas-for-one-text idea.

This idea is inspiring, but it is vialble only with metadata for
stable=dead data.

This is true.  Xanadu has dead text because old documents never go
away; new documents are collections of bits of old ones plus some new
content.  Perl has no such luxury to define the universe as we wish it
to be.

However, any given application of multiple-metadata can be adequately
achieved with single-metadata if that metadata is allowed to have
arbitrarily complex structure, and I think we can achieve that.

I'm sure regexps can be made to handle in-band and out-of-band
meta-data fairly seamlessly; the failure of emacs to do it does not
mean it can't be done.  I think everyone agrees that the merge needs
to be seamless, if Topaz is to have an opinion about meta-data at all.

Yes.  One of two advantages of inline metadata is that there should be
no change to REx syntax at all

Yes, you've made this point, plenty of times.  We get it, no need to
keep beating the drum.  I don't think it's as important as you seem to
think.  After all, you add stuff to the RE language all the time when
it serves your interests.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -
<chip(_at_)perlsupport(_dot_)com>