perl-unicode

Re: Picu: Perl wrappers for ICU

2000-12-15 08:10:07
On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 06:43:53AM -0800, Ed Batutis wrote:
Jarkko:

Thanks, will (re)try it...when I find the time.  Maybe over the holidays...

If you have problems, the ICU "general" mailing list is probably your best
resource:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/icu/project/archives/index.html

However, I would be happy to help you directly especially if I have a
configuration that matches yours.

Apologies to everyone who knows all about ICU, but I'd like to say why I
think it is important to incorporate ICU in Perl:

I would really like to see Perl [optionally] use ICU for encoding
conversions. Conversions are in general way harder than most people think
they are. Even Unicode->something single byte isn't so easy. Inexperienced
implementors often neglect many->one mappings. Encodings used on the web in
the Far East are quite tricky to implement well.

That is, actually, the plan, ever since I heard of ICU this spring.

[Optionally] incorporating ICU for locale-related operations would be a major
step forward as well - not only to improve functionality but also security.
But I'd be happy for now with conversions.

=Ed Batutis

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/

--