perl-unicode

RE: UTF-16 -> UTF-8

2001-11-21 15:03:34
Philip,

I think the problem still lies with Perl. Not with Unicode::String though. My
guess is this:

When adding the unicode value to the Sql string in
        $sql="INSERT INTO Tipo_Referencia ( Descricao ) VALUES
('$palavra_utf16');";
there is an implicit conversion from the Unicode::String object to a common
Perl String value. The
common Perl String value doesn't "understand" Unicode, so it treats the
multibyte char as several
single byte chars and writes them to Access that way..

I've tried another method to write to the database. But there is also an
implicit conversion in this
instruction:

        $rs->{"Descricao"} = $palavra_utf16;

$rs is the dynamic recordset to which I'll add a new record, and "Descricao" is
the field name to
which I intended to add the Unicode value.

So I think (better to say, I guess) the problem may lie with the fact that Perl
doesn't have native
support to Unicode in UTF-16 format (and Access doesn't have for UTF-8 !!!!).
So using the functions
/ methods available to write to an Access database  from Perl, there will
always be a conversion to
something other than the UTF-16 recognized by Access, before the value is
actually written.

I guess I'll have to handle my special chars outside Perl. It's less elegant,
but probably easier to
solve.

Once again your insigths have been very instructive. Thank you so much for your
help.
Best regards.

Rui