perl-unicode

Re: UTF-16 -> UTF-8

2001-11-21 11:26:28
On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:05:06 -0000, in perl.unicode you wrote:

now I can write to the DB, but the values are not properly recognized. If
you try to open the file I attached to my prior mail in Word, you'll
see exactly what I see in the DB record.

In Word, I see ĨĩŨũ, but when I open it in UniPad as UTF-8, I get
<LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH TILDE><LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH
TILDE><LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH TILDE><LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH
TILDE><CARRRIAGE RETURN><LINE FFED>, i.e. "I~i~U~u~\r\n" but with the
accents on the characters. So the data is UTF-8 encoded, not UTF-16.
(But the attachment was called fich1.txt, which you said was UTF-8
encoded.)

Maybe the database re-coded it, or the whatever you're using to write to
the database or to read back from it is recoding the UTF-16 to UTF-8?

Cheers,
Philip