perl-unicode

Re: UTF-16 -> UTF-8

2001-11-21 11:26:30
On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:41:46 +0000 (GMT), in perl.unicode you wrote:

Thanks - MS Mincho looks interesting.
[...]
Also - the glyphs looked slightly different : do you know if it's a big-
or little-endian UTF-16 font or a UTF-8 font ?
Ideally I'd like to use a UTF-8 font.

That doesn't make much sense to me. AFAIK, the font ist just
Unicode-encoded (i.e., I imagine it has a table somewhere saying
something like 'I have a glyph for Unicode character 0xabcd, and it's
---> here') -- but not in UTF-16 or UTF-8. And I suspect the endianness
is defined in the TTF spec. I would think you could use any Unicode font
in an application that works with UTF-16, UTF-8, SCSU, UTF-7 or Latin-1.

What do you mean with "look slightly different"? Different from what?
You get the character for "south" when you try to output U+5317 (which
is "north"? You get characters which are mirror image? Or what?

Also, remember that it's a Japanese font, so some difference may come
from the that fact Japanese write some characters slightly differently
from Chinese (for example, AFAIK, the little square in the character for
"bone" is on the right for Japanese and traditional Chinese, but on the
left for simplified Chinese).

Apparently there's an MS Gothic ...

MS Mincho is to MS Gothic roughly as Times New Roman is to Arial: Mincho
is a serif font, Gothic is sans serif. I would imagine that they are
otherwise much the same as regards the Character repertoire.

Cheers,
Philip