perl-unicode

RE: UTF-16 -> UTF-8

2001-11-22 06:27:27
Hi Edward,

You can tell Access about the encoding when you import a file.

In Access 2000, open the File menu, and on the Get External Data submenu,
select Import. The file browser dialog box will open.

The problem with this is that I cannot simply import the file, because I have
structured text. The texts I'm working with are
medieval portuguese dictionaries, following a dictionary structure, although a
bit different one, and I need to recognize the
different parts of the structure. That's why I'm using Perl - to parse the text.
In the end the limitation of writing to the database from Perl in Unicode can
be overcome if I don't encode the text files in
Unicode and use the codes the original transcribers used to represent the
required characters (for exemple, =i to represent an I
with a tilde). I can transform the codes to Unicode chars in the database. I
was looking for a more elegant solution, but if I can't
find one I'll have to live with that.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Regards

Rui Ribeiro