Re: getting pre4 to work over here

1995-11-11 03:22:03
In Dallman Ross' previous letter:
grep Mprog /etc/sendmail.cf
Mprog,  P=/usr/local/etc/smrsh,       F=lsDFM,   S=10, R=20, A=sh -c $u

Aus Sicherheitsgruenden ist es nicht moeglich, die Beschraenkungen der
smrsh (Sendmail restricted shell, die nach Empfehlung des CERT die
Vulnerabilitites von sendmail vermeiden soll), zu erweitern.

I suppose I will have to try and go with David Tamkin's kind suggestion for
filter,

         always execute /u/iued/hh0/.dman/bin/procmail

This should work already.

Meanwhile, if anyone would like to compose a retort to the above reply and
send it to me, I'll try to work further at persuading t.p.t.b. to add
procmail to the list.

Well, several things actually:
1. They seem to be running sendmail 5.64, which has got a lot more security
   holes than just the hole smrsh covers.  (Maybe this is not such a popular
   point to bring up in this case :-).  They should be upgrading to
   sendmail 8.7.1 to close them all, and then they can get rid of smrsh
   too.
2. Ask your sysadmin *why* filter is in the approved list and procmail isn't?
   Because filter is generally known to have more bugs (and perhaps security
   holes) than procmail.
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl