Re: GNUS how-to (was: Mail Readers?)

1996-01-15 05:08:45
David Mazieres <dm(_at_)amsterdam(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu> said:

DM> WARNING WARNING WARNING: Do not set nnmail-procmail-directory to a
DM> directory containing anything other than mailbox files you want
DM> imported into gnus.  Nnmail will import and destroy all files in
DM> the nnmail-procmail-directory without leaving a backup.

        False.  I use

        (setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)
        (setq nnmail-procmail-directory "~/Mail")
        (setq nnmail-procmail-suffix ".spool") ;;; the default

        and have procmail put the files into .spool files, and only
the .spool files are read by Gnus.  Also, if you set

        (setq nnmail-delete-incoming nil)

        the incoming files will be renamed, but not deleted.

DM> When gnus starts up, it will automatically find any files in
DM> ~/Mail/incoming/nnml and turn this into fake newsgroups, with
DM> names like "nnml:procmail".  To see the new groups, just list the
DM> zombie groups with "A z" and then subscribe to the nnml groups.

        If you set

        (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server)
        (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

        new nnml groups will be subscribed like new groups from your
nntp server.  I use hierachical-interactive, so I get asked.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>                         /* Sten Drescher */
1973 Steelers    About Three Bricks Shy of a Load    1994 Steelers