Re: Procmail & elm lock interaction

1996-07-23 21:47:53
jeffw(_at_)smoe(_dot_)org (Jeff Wasilko) wrote:

I am using procmail v3.10 and elm Elm 2.4 PL22

Procmail is using dotlocking, flock() locking, and elm is
configured for USE_DOTLOCK_LOCKING (.lock) USE_FLOCK_LOCKING
USE_FCNTL_LOCKING.

When procmail is sorting mail into a non-system mailbox while Elm
has the mailbox open, elm will quit with this error:

      Folder is corrupt!!  I can't read it!!

Hey, you picked off a question I had been meaning to send, except
with me it occurs mostly with the system mailbox.  It generally
occurs after replying to a message with a Cc or Bcc to myself,
and then going back to the list of messages at the time the
copy arrives.  My system mailbox is currently *large* (about
3 Mbytes) so I may have a better chance of this occurring there.

I think procmail logs something as well, which I was going to
try to verify exactly what before posting, but since the cat is
out of the bag, I'll offer what I know now, and if I get time
try to reproduce it later.  Meanwhile, you might want to try
logging things for a while.

It hasn't occurred for me recently -- mostly, I think, because
my ISP has trouble getting Bcc to myself back to me in less than
a few minutes these days. :-(

I suspect that the problem is that elm is looking for lock files
in /usr/spool/locks (for non-system mailboxes), while procmail is
locking in same directory as the mailbox file).

I don't think that's the problem since it occurs for me on both
mailbox types.

How do I get procmail and elm to play nicely together?

If you find out, let me know!  :-)

The worst this has done is throw me out of elm; I haven't
lost any messages because of it (as verified by the use of the
"backup" directory recommended in the procmail man pages).

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks from me too, in advance,
Stan.