Re: Locking types?

1996-07-29 14:46:38
wpcallah(_at_)tddcae99(_dot_)fnts(_dot_)com
<wpcallah(_at_)tddcae99(_dot_)fnts(_dot_)com> wrote:
I have Solaris-2.5, and I had funny locking problems, in that

thread, and I have tried removing fcntl, which resulted in autoconfig
using lockf.

Then you didn't check the FAQ.  Remove fcntl() and lockf(), only
allow flock() (or omit it completely).

But, I am confused.  Why have .locking at all, if the
kernel locks work?  Also, it seems my problem was

They don't.  But that's all some programs use.  Across a networked
filesystem, lockf() doesn't work, fcntl() and flock() should, but
they don't either because the lockd is buggy.  Mailtool uses fcntl()
but does it wrong, so that's another problem.

The only thing that works on all platforms, all networks, all
the time are .lock files.

--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

Real programmers don't produce results, they return exit codes.