Re: why dead.letter?

1996-08-15 10:46:36

Kevin Kelleher <kevink(_at_)concorde(_dot_)com> writes:
This recipe generates a dead.letter file every time it runs.
Is there some way I can stop it from doing that?  It must
be connected with the WHOSENT business, which I only added
because I didn't know how else to end the recipe (how to
make it mail the letter).

I just realized that I failed to address the question of why sendmail
was dropping your message in dead.letter (and yes, it's sendmail and
not procmail doing so).  The answer is that if $WHOSENT is empty (or
invalid?), or if sendmail is otherwise unable to send your message, it
will fail, and depending on your sendmail configuration, either mail a
bounce message back to you or drop your letter in dead.letter.  The
definitive way to see is to turn on verbose logging and see what
WHOSENT is being set to and what the command line for sendmail is.
You could also put the 'w' flag on the forwarding line and see what
sendmail's return code is.

Philip Guenther