Re: why dead.letter?

1996-08-15 15:45:01

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Philip Guenther wrote:

Is there some reason you have for not using formail's -r flag to figure
out what address to send to?  It will correctly decide to send your
message back to the owner of a mailing list (who should be the envelope
sender) rather than the person who submitted the message...

No, it won't in this case.  What happened is that I used to run a list
that we can call bongo(_at_)old(_dot_)server(_dot_)com(_dot_)  Now it's at
new.server.com.
I am at concorde.com.

I set an alias at old.server.com as follows:

bongo: bongo(_at_)new(_dot_)server(_dot_)com,kevink(_at_)concorde(_dot_)com

So when the mail goes to the new list address and I get a copy.
There's nothing in the headers about a list owner or anything
else like that.  The list doesn't exist any more at the old
address.  The only place I can get an address from is the
"From:" line.

The problem isn't that my recipe doesn't work - it works.
It sends the warning back to the sender.  But it also
creates a dead.letter file in my home directory, which is
irritating but not life-threatening.

Maybe I'll just have to live with it.

Kevin Kelleher
kevink(_at_)concorde(_dot_)com