Re: what's wrong with pine?

1996-09-02 12:02:54
Brandon Zylstra <brandon(_at_)umich(_dot_)edu> asks:
what's wrong with pine?...  so what's the deal?  someone please clue
me in.  it's got to be more than just the way pine saves files, right?

Pine's where the new folks are steered here at Eskimo (UW's
backyard?), so I was surprised when my friend Jack began complaining
about it taking him ten minutes or so to "send an email."  Sure
enough, when I tell Pine to "send" it goes off and does something for
many, many minutes.  Anyone know exactly what?

I've used ucb/mail since the early eighties, so I taught Jack how it
works and now he's happy.  I assume the difference is that Pine does
its own mail sending, while ucb/mail hands things off to sendmail.  So
that's my complaint with Pine - slow user interface when sending mail.

On the other hand, we had a config problem here that munged all
sendmail-related Reply-To lines, forcing "@mail.eskimo.com" as
the return address.  Pine could bypass the munging and get a
clean RT line out, bless its heart. :)

elm gets mentioned, but i've never met anyone who uses elm.
practically everyone who doesn't use an online service or a program
like Eudora or Pegasus mail that runs on their own computer uses pine.)

I think Phil Hughes, publisher of Linux Journal, uses Elm.  I use
ucb/mail at home too.  Nice to have identical environments at home
or at the ISP.

jimo(_at_)eskimo(_dot_)com