Re: what's wrong with pine?

1996-09-09 10:39:03
On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Brandon Zylstra wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, athar shiraz siddiqui wrote:
the mailer I use is
.... pine ( I plan to convert some day : it is now like some bad habit)

i don't mean to sound defensive, so please don't misunderstand me, but i'm
quite confused: what's wrong with pine?  this isn't the first time that
i've gotten the impression that it's looked down upon.  (for instance,
i've *never* *ever* *ever* seen an O'Reilly book mention pine

I know this is off topic and an old message but I think it's
worth talking about.  I think that pine is looked down on because
it's easy to use and most people don't realize how powerful it
is.  Now that IMAP is getting a lot of attention (Marc Andreessen
said it was ``a breakthrough technology'') and pine is one of the
most evolved IMAP clients and it runs on Unix, DOS, and Windows,
I think that pine will start to get more respect from Internet
power users.  Not everything that's powerful is hard to use!

  -Nancy
   (procmail and pine user)

PS - PINE really stands for Program for Internet News and Mail.