Re: Zapping repeated .sig appendices

1996-09-03 19:30:00
Paul O Bartlett <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net> typed:

[most snipped]

    Indeed, again.  When I am writing running text, my preferred Un*x
editor routinely truncates trailing blanks when writing a file, so that
even if I had "-- " in my .signature, Pine includes it automatically as
part of the editable text, and the editor would simply truncate the
blank.  The signature delimiter may be "too well-established to
change," but it collides with the reality of the tools people use.

My point was that users *shouldn't* put "-- " into their .signature
files.  Tools like pine should insert that line just before feeding
your mail to sendmail or an SMTP port, assuming you have "include
signature" (or whatever it's called) enabled.

I don't like the trailing blank convention myself, but I have all my
procmail autoreply recipes and scripts observe it.  For example:
        ... \
        cat $TMP2 ; echo "-- " ; echo "Autoreply from 'Net Scrabble" ;\
        echo "Game $GAME" ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

Cheers,
Stan.