Re: notification

1996-11-09 18:57:04
R. Wayne McCorkle <wmccorkl(_at_)porter(_dot_)psl(_dot_)nmsu(_dot_)edu> wrote:

I am fairly new to procmail, but seem to have it working smoothly. It is
certainly nice if one is subscribed to multiple mailing lists. My
question concerns biff, or other mail notification. I wanted to know what
people use in general in conjunction with procmail. If possible, I would
like a running tallly of where mail is going, maybe like a console type
of application. I am getting tired of watching my $LOGFILE to see where
mail is going.

What I've got happening here at the moment (until I find a better
way:) is to use the usual shell "you have mail" notification
mechanism.

Keep the master environment vaiable $MAIL pointing at your system
mail drop file.

In tcsh you can extend the $mail variable so that is set to *several*
files, eg:

set mail = ( 1 $MAIL )
set mail = ( $mail ~/mail/IN.procmail )
set mail = ( $mail ~/mail/IN.mailer-daemon )
set mail = ( $mail ~/mail/IN.really.good.mailing.list )

The initial number is the time between checking for updates to these
files.  When any of them have been updated, you'll get told.

This works, but there has got to be better ways :-)

(I'm "learning" mh, so I'll see what I come up with when I get to know
it:)

Cheers
Tony