Re: Procmailers beware: BCC handling

1996-11-13 15:22:40
[...text deleted...]
Seems like a HUGE HOLE to me.  Makes me wonder how so many are operating
with procmail today.  When more correspondents begin to use BCC for privacy
reasons, they're gonna get a BIG surprise when all those procmailers out
there put their private mail in someone else's box.
[...text deleted...]
The procmail experts on this list (to whom I owe much thanks,
appreciation, etc...) seem to be saying that we gotta live with it until all
the ISP's shape up.  That doesn't sit well with me, but what choice do we
have?

[...getting on small soapbox...]
First off, as always, the reminder about email.  If what you are sending is SO
PRIVATE, then DON'T SEND IT VIA EMAIL!!!  Email should ALWAYS be treated as if
it was a postcard.  ANYONE with the "right" privileges can read your email.
IE Your sysadmin, the sysadmins of any machines that the email passes through,
etc.  I'm not saying that we do this but it IS possible.  If it is SO PRIVATE
and you MUST send it via email, then encrypt it with PGP or something else.

[...getting on larger soapbox...]
Secondly, you're right you have no choice in this matter except to fix the
code yourself!  This is always true with any software that comes with source
code.  IMNSHO it would be better to post a patch to procmail fixing this
rather than b*tching about it!
[...getting off of soapbox...]

                                        Jeff Stuart