Re: Procmailers beware: BCC handling

1996-11-15 02:45:50
Mark Jared Nightingale writes on 15 November 1996 at 00:55:51
[...]
I suspect that I'm not the only one who is using procmail this way.  Without
anything to alert others (ie. in the docs), many more could encounter
similar problems.  SO..... I reiterate... IMHO, i think the docs should make
mention of this limitation.

This suggestion is akin to putting a warning on a hammer like "do not
use for sawing".

It's not a limitation of procmail - the tool works very well for it's
intended task.  As has been pointed out by Philip, it seems that your
problem is a result of using the wrong tool for the job.

Your heavy handed preaching, and your exclamatory "fix it yourself"
attitude, only stifles many who might similarly contribute to the

There are people on this list who have been using "procmail" for a
very long time and have an excellent understanding of the many
mail-related vicissitudes.  Starting out a conversation with "procmail
doesn't handle BCC right" gets things going in the wrong direction.
As you've hopefully already seen from Philip's suggestions regarding
sendmail, you'll get a lot further by clearly explaining the problem
you are trying to solve.

   Dan