Procmailers beware: BCC handling

1996-11-13 13:15:18
At 08:24 PM 11/12/96 -0800, you wrote:
Hi:
Hate to be stupid, but exactly what does Bcc mean and where
does the stuff go?
Tnx.
Eric
-----------------------------

Blind Carbon Copy.

All "TO" recipients and "CC" recipients see one-another's names.  BCC
recipients' names are hidden.  Some mailer systems allow Bcc recipients to
see the names of other Bcc recipients.

Procmail is incapable of properly dealing with BCC's **if the sending mail
system has stripped the envelope** (which many do).  It appears that most
often such mail will fall through all the recipies to end up in the procmail
sysop's box.

Seems like a HUGE HOLE to me.  Makes me wonder how so many are operating
with procmail today.  When more correspondents begin to use BCC for privacy
reasons, they're gonna get a BIG surprise when all those procmailers out
there put their private mail in someone else's box.

I understand that this problem is founded in the originating mail system,
but I frankly would have expected that such a fundamental failing would be
PROMINENTLY REFERENCED in the procmail docs.  If it's discussed, I coundn't
find it.

I'm working on getting MY ISP to leave the envelope and BCC info attached to
the message so that procmail can handle their mail correctly.  But that is
just one ISP.  The procmail experts on this list (to whom I owe much thanks,
appreciation, etc...) seem to be saying that we gotta live with it until all
the ISP's shape up.  That doesn't sit well with me, but what choice do we have?

Regards,