Re: Procmailers beware: BCC handling

1996-11-14 22:44:35
At 01:23 PM 11/14/96 -0600, P.Guenther wrote:
I'm Bcc'ing this message to both
you and list.  You'll get two copies which will differ in their envelope
_senders_, *not* their envelope recipients.  The envelope recipient will
be your address, even for the copy that goes through the list.

        The envelope *recipient* is exactly what I want.

Your comment about "put their private mail in someone else's box" makes
it sound like you're using procmail to do something like virtual domain
processing, where mail for multiple people is fed into one 'address',
wherein procmail is used to then split it back up.  This is obsolete in
the face of sendmail 8.8's 'virtusertable' feature, and should be
avoided because YOU'RE USING THE WRONG TOOL FOR THE JOB.  If it works
some of the time you should be happy, but it *cannot* work all of the
time without a major assist from the Mail Transfer Agent, and at that
point you might as well move it all there and be done with it.  It's
more efficient, and heh, it actually works.  What a combo.

        The situation you describe is EXACTLY  what I am trying to do.
        It works perfectly, except for this hole.  Frankly, I did not know
        there was an alternative.  You are the first to point this out.
        Thanks for recognizing it.  I will now do some research into
        sendmail 8.8.

I'm working on getting MY ISP to leave the envelope and BCC info attached to
the message so that procmail can handle their mail correctly.  But that is
just one ISP.  The procmail experts on this list (to whom I owe much thanks,
appreciation, etc...) seem to be saying that we gotta live with it until all
the ISP's shape up.  That doesn't sit well with me, but what choice do we
have?

This solves the virtual user problem, but it doesn't solve the problem of
sorting on 'how it got to me'.  However, since this latter problem is
solvable, you're going to have to be happy with it.

        I really don't care HOW the mail got to me.  I just need to make sure it
        continues on to its intended recipient, so I need whatever mail handler
        I use to learn of this planned destination.

        From your knowledge of my dilemma, do you think sendmail 8.8
        will resolve this issue for me?

        Regards,
        Mark.