Security features of ETCRCS

1996-12-09 21:29:36

OK, I've looked into the source code a little.

There is just one security feature I need to work around.

I want to change the location of the /etc/procmailrcs,
and I want procmail to take the user and group id
of the owner of the procmailrc that it reads.

(after this in sendmail, called from mailertable:)

Mprocmail,      P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=DFMShu, S=11/31, R=21/31,
        T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
        A=procmail -m $h $f $u

I want $1 and $2 to be available to the recipe.
Will this require a source code hack?    I'm willing
to do it, but I don't see where the arguments are being
stripped.  Any help?  Any way to do what I want without
reducing security?

Before you summarily dismiss this, please consider that
mail is -currently- being delivered by root, and the reason
I need procmail to assume the uid of the owner of the
file is for security and so that the files delivered will
be properly owned.

   James L. McGill      |              NETCOM  Interactive
 Programmer / Analyst   |                 Dallas, Texas
 <fishbowl(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com>  | -=[ http://www.conservatory.com/~fishbowl
]=-
Q: Why did the tachyon cross the road?
A: Because it was on the other side.