Re: Security features of ETCRCS

1996-12-09 22:47:19
"James L. McGill" <fishbowl(_at_)fotd(_dot_)netcomi(_dot_)com> writes:
I want to change the location of the /etc/procmailrcs,
and I want procmail to take the user and group id
of the owner of the procmailrc that it reads.

Umm, what's wrong with recompiling with a different ETCRCS?

I want $1 and $2 to be available to the recipe.
Will this require a source code hack?    I'm willing
to do it, but I don't see where the arguments are being
stripped.  Any help?  Any way to do what I want without
reducing security?

It's probably not your fault, as there was a bug in argument passing
with the -m flag in versions between 3.06 and 3.11pre.  To quote the
HISTORY file:

1995/10/29: v3.11pre4
            Changes to procmail:
               - Regression bug since v3.06, procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs
                 didn't allow any arguments to be passed, fixed

You should upgrade to 3.11pre4, thinking carefully about what you want
ETCRCS to be when you configure it.

Philip Guenther