Re: Comparative discussion between 'procmail' and 'mailagent'

1997-02-06 04:57:55
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:38:14 +0000 (GMT),
John T Ellis <ellis(_at_)cork(_dot_)cig(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com> wrote:
I was able to give her the salient points of why to use procmail however I
could not speak intelligently about mailagent.  Can anyone on this list
provide me with some thoughts on why you should use procmail over mailagent
or any other mail handling utility?

The Mail Filtering FAQ doesn't say anything explicitly really but
recommends Procmail over mailagent and <barf bag>filter</barf bag> --
at least in my reading, the text implies that Procmail is more robust.
  Seems to me like Mailagent couldn't be a totally bad choice, but
then I'm a devoted Perl user, so maybe I'm a bit biased ;^)
  [Mailagent is written in Perl, according to the FAQ.]

See for yourself:
    <http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/mail/filtering-faq.html>

(... or the same at <http://www.landfield.com/faqs/>, whichever is
closer to you. "Cork" sounds like Ireland but who trusts geography
these days :-)

/* era */

--
See <http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/> for mantra, disclaimer, etc.
* If you enjoy getting spam, I'd appreciate it if you'd register yourself